I’m ready to go back to school. This summer has been a productivity wasteland, and I need to get back to doing something with my time. I had goals for this summer. I really did. And I didn’t accomplish a single one (except maybe the cooking). Here’s the list:
- Get into shape. I was determined to be healthy this summer. I only half managed that, eating better than usual and cooking more on my own. But exercise and physical fitness kinda got swept to the side. That’s going to be on the “Things to Do in Your Free Time” list for the school year.
- Get comfortable in the kitchen. I’ve definitely gotten my hands dirty in the kitchen the last few weeks. Saturdays have been cooking healthy meals with my family, and I’ve been cooking during the week with this great guy I’ve got in my life. I’m no gourmet chef, but the food has turned out really well. I’m definitely gonna keep it up.
- Read at least five books. This one should have been easy. But I just can’t seem to get off the computer. Or just pick up a book instead of watching T.V. or something. I barely made it through one book. It’s extremely disappointing. I’ll just have to work it into my schedule somewhere between classes, homework, and sleeping. And everything else I didn’t get done. Sigh…
- Blog weekly, write more in general. Yeah… As you can see, I totally bailed on my New Year’s Resolution… I lasted a bit, but summer hit and that was it (yes, I know that was bad and sounded lie… You fill in the blank). And the student travel site I was blogging for isn’t accepting new material right now, so I’m not even cranking a post out for money every week. So I’ve only been scribbling– story starters, openers for blog posts never posted, but nothing complete and worthy of public (or even private) acknowledgment. I’m very disappointed about this one.
- Get a tan. This was somewhat accomplished. Working as a counselor/teacher at my high school’s band camp helped with this. 90-degree sunny days spending six hours in the sun with only a minimal amount of sunscreen on places that burn easily really does the trick. Except that I have horrible tan lines. I won’t be wearing shoes without sock for some time. And I really only tanned my forearms and my legs from mid-thigh to ankle. I’m a little uneven.
- Get a car. That hasn’t happened. I have a substantial amount of money set aside for a decent down payment, or if possible, full payment on a decent used car. But I would be happier with more set aside , or with a car of my own in the driveway. So that’s still a ways away.
There’s no good reason for not accomplishing most of these. Facebook, sleeping until noon, television, and work are not good excuses. A bit of drama at the beginning of the summer and a sort of rebuilding in a couple of facets of my life might allow for a bit of leniency, but cannot account for the failure to complete more than one goal. I guess I just have to step it up during the school year, and keep it up into next summer and beyond. I guess I’ll just have to work harder to get myself motivated. I want to better myself, for myself and not anyone else. I hear self motivation is pretty hard though, so feel free to offer me some support. A nice “You can do it!” shout out does wonders.
Have you set any goals recently that you hope to accomplish or have accomplished? How did you motivate yourself? How can you accomplish them if you haven’t already?